Lot Details & Additional Photographs
Sheffield, 1837 and later, instrument engraved "J.P. Cutts / Optician to Her Majesty / Sheffield," presented within the original mahogany fitted case, fitted with (6) non-achromatic objectives, marked with numbers from 1 to 6 (1 being of the highest magnification), (6) bone mounted specimen slides, specimen capsule, and other lenses and accoutrements.
Case dimensions 3 1/4 x 11 x 5 1/4 in.Private Collection of an Antiquarian, Charlotte, North Carolina
John Priston Cutts was born in 1787 in Leeds and around the turn of the century apprenticed to Proctor and Beilby of Sheffield as an Optical Craftsman. Cutts was a leading manufacturer and supplier of instruments established in Sheffield and London since 1825. In 1845 he formed a partnership with George Sutton and his son and was renamed J.P. Cutts & Sutton & Son. For the high quality of the optical instruments he received the title of "Opticians to Her Majesty, Sheffield & London." His business remained active until 1869.
He began his business from 58 Norfolk Street, Sheffield moving to Division Street around 1828 which remained his headquarters until his death in 1858. Between 1836 and 1839 he is known to have opened a branch shop at 3 Crane Court, Fleet Street, London.
Some minor spotting to brass; loss to upper lock on case lid; set may be missing some original accoutrements; not tested for working condition.