Lot Details & Additional Photographs
Circa 1785-1792, Maryland, attributed to Bankson and Lawson (fl. 1785-1792).
Plum pudding mahogany veneers and mahogany, white pine and poplar secondary woods, with light and dark wood line, fan, figural and rosette inlays. One piece form, upper tambour door cabinet above a fall front writing surface with divided interior, above two hinged cabinet doors, triple line inlay paneled sides, square tapered feet. Later attached mid-19th century label en verso "J. Henry Neale Esq., 26 Commerce Street, Baltimore care of Mr. Delaphane."
64 x 38.5 x 17 in.
This desk is among a small group of five early Federal fall front desks. Among the five, one at the Moses Meyers house in Norfolk, VA* and this one are the earliest examples known to use a tambour section. One desk is in the Maryland Historical Society.
Ref: The Genesis of Neoclassical Style in Baltimore Furniture, Sumpter Priddy III, J. Michael Flanigan, and Gregory R. Weidman.
*American Furniture, Ed. Luke Beckerdite, 2000, page 62, figure 4.
With key; shrinkage splits to side panels; replaced prospect door hinges; rear feet replaced.
$3,000 - 5,000