Lot Details & Additional Photographs
Florence, Italy, 1881, carved white marble, signature with date and 'Firenze' incised to verso, mounted upon a polished white marble plinth.
Sculpture dimensions 24 x 18 x 12 in.; Plinth 5 x 9 1/2 (excluding rod)Private Collection, Aiken, South Carolina
At 15 years old, Pasquale Romanelli entered the studio runned by Master Sculptor Luigi Pampaloni and later moved to Lorenzo Bartolini’s studio in Borgo San Frediano. After Bartolini passed, Pasquale was often selected to complete the projects of Barolini's studio. Best known for his sculptures of allegorical, biblical and mythological figures of women, Romanelli also created monumental works including the monument to Vittorio Fossombroni for the Piazza di S. Francesco in Arezzo (1863) and the monument of Count Alessandro Masi for the Certosa of Ferrara (1864).
He exhibited his works Ruth
and La Delusa
in Paris in 1851. His work La Delusa
was bought by the Hermitage Museum in St Petersberg. The Museo Poldi in Milan has a bust by Romanelli of Bartolini, and another bust of Bartolini can be found in the church of the Santa Croce in Florence. In 1868, he was appointed Professor of Sculpture of the Academy of Fine Art of Florence.
Good estate condition; some scattered chips and scuffs to lace ruffle, ear, and bust base edge; small area of loss near figure's left clavicle.
$2,000 - 3,000