Lot Details & Additional Photographs
The horse originally created late 19th century, painted wood and modeled plaster, applied horse hair, outfitted with leather and brass saddle, unsigned. Included with the lot is a framed 1950s photograph (gelatin silver print) and related newspaper article, featuring the horse along with policeman and two handlers at the corner of Sixth and Trade in downtown Winston-Salem (frame 17 1/8 x 21 1/8 in.), as well as a framed Pleasants Hardware Co. wooden yardstick. (4 3/4 x 6 in.).
Approximately 83 x 95 x 22 in.
Featured in Winston-Salem Journal article on February 2nd, 1956, pg. 11, the large Advertisement steed was a landmark in downtown Winston-Salem and has moved locations at least four times over the years. The original creator is unknown, but was perhaps first noticed at J. W. Shipley Company store located on Trade Street. When Shipley moved sites, it next trotted to a harness shop operated by Rober Davis. E. O. Pleasants acquired the horse when he moved into the Davis shop, and there it remained until 1956, when it ended up at Ragland Harness Shop. The accompanying photograph and related newpaper article copy detail this final move day.
Later paint and surface stains; some stress cracks to horse body; some hair losses; otherwise intact and needs no shoeing.